May 31, 2011

Back from the Holiday Weekend -

Well, blogging is a lot of fun but as I've discovered - much work!   I am preparing for company and  also  for a new exhibit opening this Friday so I hope you won't mind if I post a previous work.  I've decided to post the WIP's for Jack "Surprise" shown in the right column.   Here's the first...




 

May 24, 2011

"Holes -2" finished

Here is the completed painting.   It has lots of patina in shades of turquoise, mauve, purple, green and topaz and various values of each of these.  I find it a lot of fun to paint items like this.  The winterberries and crab apples are no longer in season but I felt they added some interest and color to the foreground.


Size 12x16.  I have a custom frame already made for this one.  It has a bronze patina with flecks of turquoise green in it.  I think it will set off the color of this painting really well.   I'll post a pic of it framed when it's dry.

May 23, 2011

"Holes 2 - WIP"

I got busy today and forgot to post the information on the new painting I'm currently working on.  I also failed to capture the drawing on canvas before I got started... many apologies.  I was able to get quite a bit done today (so maybe you'll forgive me... :))  

"Holes 2"  is painted in a lighter value string than the first version of the "Holes" colander which can be found in my gallery (gipson-artist.com/gallery).  Holes (#1) is also currently being offered at the Xanadu Studio Gallery.

May 20, 2011

The Pitcher - Finished

This went a  little faster than I expected... probably because of the limited palette.  I changed the bottom a bit, added shadows to the right and highlights to the left and did a lot of blending...

May 19, 2011

The Pitcher - WIP #2

I've blended the colors on the pitcher and added more highlights and shadows...  almost finished!

May 18, 2011

"The Pitcher" - WIP #1

Here is the pitcher with the background and surrounding color laid in.  I started laying in color on the  pitcher itself too.  I'm using cool colors for the shadows (purple, mauve, and dark blues...).  I'm also noticing that for some reason the paint is slipping around on the canvas more than usual...

May 17, 2011

"The Pitcher"

Here's a second post for today (I need to catch up...).  The next item I'm going to paint is an enamel pitcher. I'm mainly going to capture the image from a photograph and change up the background and table top.  Here's the photo and drawing:


The Path - finished

Here is the path - completed.  I added quite a bit of color to the foreground and many values to the background.  Added detail to the trees, etc.

May 14, 2011

The Path - WIP #3

Here is the next work in progress picture of "The Path".  I've started adding in the established border line of the path.  I also laid in the underbrush, midtone tree trunk colors and the back ground trees.



May 13, 2011

"The Path" -WIP #2

Here's the latest in the progress of "The Path"   I added in the darkest trunk color and defined the closest  underbrush line in the background.   Started establishing the position of some of the shadows...  I also laid down the first  in a series of colors for the path and fallen leaves.









May 12, 2011

"The Path"

I took a break from the toy series to paint a landscape for the back drop on our church's next exhibit poster - topic The Way.    While on a morning walk last week, I took a picture (shown at the bottom of this post) of "the path" behind our house.  The new growth was still a vibrant green and the sun ahead looked to be guiding the way...  I loved the way the shadows criss crossed the path and the fallen leaves left from last fall.  Shown below (and above the picture) is the drawing and the first lay of color....





May 10, 2011

Staking Out - Finished

Here it is!  Added more of the patina colors, highlights, the slab and lip of the slab, and cleaned up the "key holes" in  the bed...  You'll notice that I cleaned up around the bed of the truck  - the reason for the glare of new paint... the background has already dried.

Hope you enjoy!

May 9, 2011

Staking Out - WIP #6

Here's the update (as promised).  I was able to paint for 6 hours today.  I added the wheels and worked n the shadows some.  I also started laying in the slab rim...

Monday - May 9

Hope you Mothers all had a wonderful Mother's Day.  I was unable to get any painting done this weekend but will be heading up to the studio as soon as I finish this post.  I'll be sending out an update this evening.  Thanks.

May 6, 2011

Staking Out - WIP #5

Hi!  Thanks for stopping by.  Today I added more detail to the grill and added the step down.  I also started work on the under carriage of the bed.

May 5, 2011

Staking Out - WIP #4

More of the cab has been added, the front grill and the base of the bed.  I've also added more detail on the bed of the truck...   Thanks for stopping by...


May 3, 2011

Staking Out - WIP #1

Started laying in the paint.  I'm posting a couple of pics on my progress.  I decided to begin with the bed of the truck first (this is a fabulous green!).  As I lay in the paint, I need to make sure I capture the "key hole" detail.




 

May 1, 2011

Toy Stories - Staking Out


I've decided to paint the Stake Truck by itself.  (Heavy Metal was so much fun!)   Here is the drawing and set up pic.